Ways to Relax When You Feel Anxious About the Job Hunting Process
Being a senior in college may be nerve wracking at times since graduation is less than two months away, but one thing that is making me really nervous is the job hunting process.
So far, I’ve applied to many jobs in the field I am getting a degree in. Dealing with the waiting process for job hunting isn’t the best. You never know if your resume is going to stand out against the other candidates who also want the job that you applied to.
Here are some ways that I relax while I am dealing with the job hunting process.
1. Read career advice articles
Since I am a writer, I usually love reading articles that can help me out with my daily lifestyle. My favorite career advice articles are on the Muse website (which also doubles as a job search engine). They have articles about interviews, how to make your LinkedIn stand out, cover letters, and career strategies. My favorite articles from them right now are:
2. Go outside/Enjoy the fresh air
Going outside always helps destress me when I am dealing with a lot of schoolwork or stressing over the job hunting process. When I go outside, I usually go to an outlet center, an outside shopping center, or a park. Once I am at those places, my stress goes away instantly and I take photos of the beautiful nature around me.
3. Take a spa day
Taking a nice bath or getting a massage, manicure, pedicure, or facial is always a good way to relax after applying to jobs. Even though some treatments may be expensive to college students, now there are many ways you can spend less money on treatments by doing DIY or getting spa products from stores.
Some of my favorite DIY spa treatments and spa products are:
•Face masks (Ulta, Sephora, and Target)
•Calgon Lavender and Honey Bubble Bath from Target
•Creating face masks from products like Oranges, Lemons, Honey, Ginger, etc.
4. Understand that the job searching/hunting process is stressful for everyone
Everyone in their life goes through the anxiety of job searching/hunting, especially if it lasts for more than three months. I always feel less stressed out when I know that I am not the only one going through this process right now and that this process takes time and patience.
5. Learn new skills while waiting to hear back about your application status
New skills are always good to put on your resume/LinkedIn profile. Some new skills that could be learned are how to create your own website, learning a new language, and taking classes about coding, marketing, etc. New skills can make your resume/LinkedIn stand out to recruiters (especially if that skill is going to help out in the job that you applied for).
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA JOB LISTINGSSee all UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Job Listings
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Job Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeIowa State UniversityUniversity of IowaUniversity of Northern IowaDes Moines Area Community CollegeCornell CollegeSt. Ambrose UniversityDrake UniversityKirkwood Community CollegeIowa Western Community CollegeAshford UniversityBriar Cliff UniversityBuena Vista UniversityCentral CollegeClarke CollegeCoe CollegeDes Moines UniversityDordt CollegeGraceland UniversityGrand View CollegeGrinnell CollegeKaplan UniversityLoras CollegeLuther CollegeMorningside CollegeMount Mercy CollegeNorthwestern CollegePalmer College of ChiropracticSimpson CollegeUniversity of DubuqueUpper Iowa UniversityWartburg CollegeWilliam Penn UniversityClinton Community College (IA)Eastern Iowa Community College DistrictHawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College Iowa Lakes Community College Iowa Valley Community College DistrictMuscatine Community College Northeast Iowa Community CollegeNorthwest Iowa Community CollegeScott Community College Southeastern Community College (IA)Western Iowa Tech Community CollegeAIB College of BusinessAllen CollegeAmerican College of Hairstyling-Cedar RapidsAmerican College of Hairstyling-Des MoinesAmerican Hair AcademyAveda Institute-Des MoinesCapri College-DavenportCapri College-DubuqueCarlson College of Massage TherapyCollege of Hair DesignDivine Word CollegeEllsworth Community CollegeEmmaus Bible CollegeFaith Baptist Bible College and Theological SeminaryFaust Institute of Cosmetology-Spirit LakeIowa School of Beauty-Des MoinesIowa School of Beauty-MarshalltownIowa School of Beauty-Sioux CityITT Technical Institute-CliveKaplan University-Cedar Falls CampusKaplan University-Davenport CampusKaplan University-Des Moines CampusLa James College of Hairstyling and CosmetologyLa James International College-DavenportLa James International College-Iowa CityLa James International College-JohnstonMaharishi University of ManagementMercy College of Health SciencesPCI Academy-AmesShiloh UniversityThe Salon Professional Academy-Iowa CityTotal Look School of Cosmetology & Massage TherapyUnityPoint Health-Des Moines School of Radiologic TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix-IowaVatterott College-Des MoinesWaldorf CollegeWartburg Theological Seminary
- By State
- By City