How to Be Successful at the Career Fair
Here are some tips to help you knock that first impression out of the park.
1. Prepare and double-check (and triple-check, quadruple-check, etc.) your resume for errors
The last thing you want an employer to see is that you’re an “Englsih major,” or you “helped a company boost there sales by 15 percent.”
Spellcheck and grammar checks are extremely important! Make sure your job experiences go in order from most recent to oldest. Most importantly, try to stick to the one-page rule. The resume should be a snapshot of your experiences, not your autobiography.
2. Prepare an introduction
Introduce yourself by saying your name, major, and what you are looking for. In some cases, an elevator speech will work just fine. An elevator speech is basically a short speech about yourself that you can say to someone within the time it takes to get to another floor on the elevator.
3. Dress to impress
Don’t show up like you just rolled out of bed; sweatpants won’t do for today. The best way to go is to dress business professional. That means a blazer with dress pants, or a blazer with a dress and stockings for girls, and a dress shirt and tie with dress pants for guys. Don’t forget the dress shoes! Little black heels usually work just fine for the girls!
4. Be confident and independent
This isn’t a club or a bar — try to leave the friends at home. It’s not a group event, this is your time to shine and wow those employers. Stand out from the crowd, and remember to smile, and make eye contact!
5. Be open to companies you have never heard of
Just talk to them! You may miss out on an amazing opportunity. Besides, sometimes the name brands aren’t the best quality.
6. Take the free things (seriously)
Take those pens, bags, USB cords, and post-it pads. Employers are happy to see those things going to good use, and besides, who can’t use an extra pen?!
Best of luck, and if you don’t get the first job you apply for, keep trying! Something is out there — trust the timing of your life!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA INTERNSHIPS LISTINGSSee all UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Internships Listings
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Internships Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeIowa State UniversityUniversity of IowaUniversity of Northern IowaDes Moines Area Community CollegeCornell CollegeSt. Ambrose UniversityDrake UniversityKirkwood Community CollegeIowa Western Community CollegeAshford UniversityBriar Cliff UniversityBuena Vista UniversityCentral CollegeClarke CollegeCoe CollegeDes Moines UniversityDordt CollegeGraceland UniversityGrand View CollegeGrinnell CollegeKaplan UniversityLoras CollegeLuther CollegeMorningside CollegeMount Mercy CollegeNorthwestern CollegePalmer College of ChiropracticSimpson CollegeUniversity of DubuqueUpper Iowa UniversityWartburg CollegeWilliam Penn UniversityClinton Community College (IA)Eastern Iowa Community College DistrictHawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College Iowa Lakes Community College Iowa Valley Community College DistrictMuscatine Community College Northeast Iowa Community CollegeNorthwest Iowa Community CollegeScott Community College Southeastern Community College (IA)Western Iowa Tech Community CollegeAIB College of BusinessAllen CollegeAmerican College of Hairstyling-Cedar RapidsAmerican College of Hairstyling-Des MoinesAmerican Hair AcademyAveda Institute-Des MoinesCapri College-DavenportCapri College-DubuqueCarlson College of Massage TherapyCollege of Hair DesignDivine Word CollegeEllsworth Community CollegeEmmaus Bible CollegeFaith Baptist Bible College and Theological SeminaryFaust Institute of Cosmetology-Spirit LakeIowa School of Beauty-Des MoinesIowa School of Beauty-MarshalltownIowa School of Beauty-Sioux CityITT Technical Institute-CliveKaplan University-Cedar Falls CampusKaplan University-Davenport CampusKaplan University-Des Moines CampusLa James College of Hairstyling and CosmetologyLa James International College-DavenportLa James International College-Iowa CityLa James International College-JohnstonMaharishi University of ManagementMercy College of Health SciencesPCI Academy-AmesShiloh UniversityThe Salon Professional Academy-Iowa CityTotal Look School of Cosmetology & Massage TherapyUnityPoint Health-Des Moines School of Radiologic TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix-IowaVatterott College-Des MoinesWaldorf CollegeWartburg Theological Seminary
- By State
- By City