How High School Really Prepared Us For College
I may not remember all the elements of the periodic table, or how to find X in an equation, but there are a few unforgettable lessons high school did teach me that helped me prepare for college better than anything I could have memorized for the ACT.
Treat others the way you want to be treated
I think we all learned this in kindergarten, but it takes a while for the lesson to sink in. Always be kind, and always be compassionate. Everyone is human, everyone has emotions, and everyone wants to feel warmth. The tiniest little action can change the course of someone’s day, which at the end of the day, can change who they are as a person. Always be good to people. And even though some days it can seem unappreciated, it never will be.
Photo Attributed By: hightechtennis.com
You will get your heartbroken…and life will go on
Getting broken up with in high school, during the years when you are most vulnerable, judgmental, and harsh towards yourself is probably one of the most awful experiences someone that age could be put through, but you should let it happen. You’re going to blame yourself, and you’re going to ask yourself why, and you’re not going to believe that life can possibly go on without this person. But it will. Getting your heart broken in high school is the first real experience where you feel so beat down, so lost, and so hurt that you truly believe that life will not be able to move forward, but it will. Life will always go on. Heartbreaks are some of the best ways to teach you that important lesson which you could never of found in your textbook.
Photo Attributed By: Screenpicks.com
People are assholes
If there’s one lesson I’ve learned from high school is that some people are really just not going to be very nice to you simply because they don’t have to be. Someone is going to hate you and you are going to hear about it, because that person will make sure of it that you do. You’re going to have no idea why, and it’s going to taunt you. You’re going to bring yourself down and every day wonder why this person hates you for no reason. There’s no reason. They may backup their hatred with a million of ridiculous attacks, like you bought a shirt they already owned, or you raise your hand too often in class. Really though, they are just assholes.
…even the assholes. It’s when we get to college that we realize we should thank those who were mean to us in high school. These people make us so much stronger later in life. Something that may have affected your entire year in high school, you won’t even think twice about in college. So, be grateful for the mean girls from high school who said your hair cut was ugly they’ve only made you tougher. And remember that forgiveness doesn’t always mean that you’re saying what was done to you was okay, but it frees your mind from the negative emotions and helps you let go, which will always win over holding a grudge.
Photo Attributed By: Ou.org
You’re always going to know more in the future than you know now
You don’t know everything about life in high school; you don’t even know a fraction of it (but at least you know how to do fractions!) Each day will teach you something you didn’t know the day before, no matter how old you are. Knowledge comes with experience. You learn new lessons every single day just by living life, and that’s something you could never of learned in a classroom.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Iowa News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF IOWA CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF IOWA NEWS
- Get The Most Out Of Your Next Study Session: 5 Study Tips
- Cheetos Chicken Fries: An Extra Crunchy Surprise
- On Identity Spectrums
- The National Museum of African American History: A People's Journey
- Is a Pixie Cut Right for You?
- The Age of the Half-Hour Dramedy
- What I Learned During My First Week In College
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF IOWA NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAIB College of BusinessAllen CollegeAmerican College of Hairstyling-Cedar RapidsAmerican College of Hairstyling-Des MoinesAmerican Hair AcademyAshford UniversityAveda Institute-Des MoinesBriar Cliff UniversityBuena Vista UniversityCapri College-DavenportCapri College-DubuqueCarlson College of Massage TherapyCentral CollegeClarke CollegeClinton Community College (IA)Coe CollegeCollege of Hair DesignCornell CollegeDes Moines Area Community CollegeDes Moines UniversityDivine Word CollegeDordt CollegeDrake UniversityEastern Iowa Community College DistrictEllsworth Community CollegeEmmaus Bible CollegeFaith Baptist Bible College and Theological SeminaryFaust Institute of Cosmetology-Spirit LakeGraceland UniversityGrand View CollegeGrinnell CollegeHawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College Iowa Lakes Community College Iowa School of Beauty-Des MoinesIowa School of Beauty-MarshalltownIowa School of Beauty-Sioux CityIowa State UniversityIowa Valley Community College DistrictIowa Western Community CollegeITT Technical Institute-CliveKaplan UniversityKaplan University-Cedar Falls CampusKaplan University-Davenport CampusKaplan University-Des Moines CampusKirkwood Community CollegeLa James College of Hairstyling and CosmetologyLa James International College-DavenportLa James International College-Iowa CityLa James International College-JohnstonLoras CollegeLuther CollegeMaharishi University of ManagementMercy College of Health SciencesMorningside CollegeMount Mercy CollegeMuscatine Community College Northeast Iowa Community CollegeNorthwest Iowa Community CollegeNorthwestern CollegePalmer College of ChiropracticPCI Academy-AmesScott Community College Shiloh UniversitySimpson CollegeSoutheastern Community College (IA)St. Ambrose UniversityThe Salon Professional Academy-Iowa CityTotal Look School of Cosmetology & Massage TherapyUnityPoint Health-Des Moines School of Radiologic TechnologyUniversity of DubuqueUniversity of IowaUniversity of Northern IowaUniversity of Phoenix-IowaUpper Iowa UniversityVatterott College-Des MoinesWaldorf CollegeWartburg CollegeWartburg Theological SeminaryWestern Iowa Tech Community CollegeWilliam Penn University
- By State
- By City