How High School Really Prepared Us For College
I may not remember all the elements of the periodic table, or how to find X in an equation, but there are a few unforgettable lessons high school did teach me that helped me prepare for college better than anything I could have memorized for the ACT.
Treat others the way you want to be treated
I think we all learned this in kindergarten, but it takes a while for the lesson to sink in. Always be kind, and always be compassionate. Everyone is human, everyone has emotions, and everyone wants to feel warmth. The tiniest little action can change the course of someone’s day, which at the end of the day, can change who they are as a person. Always be good to people. And even though some days it can seem unappreciated, it never will be.
Photo Attributed By: hightechtennis.com
You will get your heartbroken…and life will go on
Getting broken up with in high school, during the years when you are most vulnerable, judgmental, and harsh towards yourself is probably one of the most awful experiences someone that age could be put through, but you should let it happen. You’re going to blame yourself, and you’re going to ask yourself why, and you’re not going to believe that life can possibly go on without this person. But it will. Getting your heart broken in high school is the first real experience where you feel so beat down, so lost, and so hurt that you truly believe that life will not be able to move forward, but it will. Life will always go on. Heartbreaks are some of the best ways to teach you that important lesson which you could never of found in your textbook.
Photo Attributed By: Screenpicks.com
People are assholes
If there’s one lesson I’ve learned from high school is that some people are really just not going to be very nice to you simply because they don’t have to be. Someone is going to hate you and you are going to hear about it, because that person will make sure of it that you do. You’re going to have no idea why, and it’s going to taunt you. You’re going to bring yourself down and every day wonder why this person hates you for no reason. There’s no reason. They may backup their hatred with a million of ridiculous attacks, like you bought a shirt they already owned, or you raise your hand too often in class. Really though, they are just assholes.
…even the assholes. It’s when we get to college that we realize we should thank those who were mean to us in high school. These people make us so much stronger later in life. Something that may have affected your entire year in high school, you won’t even think twice about in college. So, be grateful for the mean girls from high school who said your hair cut was ugly they’ve only made you tougher. And remember that forgiveness doesn’t always mean that you’re saying what was done to you was okay, but it frees your mind from the negative emotions and helps you let go, which will always win over holding a grudge.
Photo Attributed By: Ou.org
You’re always going to know more in the future than you know now
You don’t know everything about life in high school; you don’t even know a fraction of it (but at least you know how to do fractions!) Each day will teach you something you didn’t know the day before, no matter how old you are. Knowledge comes with experience. You learn new lessons every single day just by living life, and that’s something you could never of learned in a classroom.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent University of Iowa News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF IOWA CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF IOWA NEWS
- Your Snapchat Isn't Cute and Neither Are You
- 7 Things You Promise Your Pets Over Thanksgiving Break
- How To Be Thankful Without Celebrating Thanksgiving
- Why Berkeley Doesn't Need A White Student Union
- Our Life As Told By April Ludgate
- Are Your Dating “Standards” Holding You Back?
- Why we need more Continental Philosophy
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF IOWA NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeIowa State UniversityUniversity of IowaUniversity of Northern IowaDes Moines Area Community CollegeCornell CollegeSt. Ambrose UniversityDrake UniversityKirkwood Community CollegeIowa Western Community CollegeAshford UniversityBriar Cliff UniversityBuena Vista UniversityCentral CollegeClarke CollegeCoe CollegeDes Moines UniversityDordt CollegeGraceland UniversityGrand View CollegeGrinnell CollegeKaplan UniversityLoras CollegeLuther CollegeMorningside CollegeMount Mercy CollegeNorthwestern CollegePalmer College of ChiropracticSimpson CollegeUniversity of DubuqueUpper Iowa UniversityWartburg CollegeWilliam Penn UniversityClinton Community College (IA)Eastern Iowa Community College DistrictHawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College Iowa Lakes Community College Iowa Valley Community College DistrictMuscatine Community College Northeast Iowa Community CollegeNorthwest Iowa Community CollegeScott Community College Southeastern Community College (IA)Western Iowa Tech Community CollegeAIB College of BusinessAllen CollegeAmerican College of Hairstyling-Cedar RapidsAmerican College of Hairstyling-Des MoinesAmerican Hair AcademyAveda Institute-Des MoinesCapri College-DavenportCapri College-DubuqueCarlson College of Massage TherapyCollege of Hair DesignDivine Word CollegeEllsworth Community CollegeEmmaus Bible CollegeFaith Baptist Bible College and Theological SeminaryFaust Institute of Cosmetology-Spirit LakeIowa School of Beauty-Des MoinesIowa School of Beauty-MarshalltownIowa School of Beauty-Sioux CityITT Technical Institute-CliveKaplan University-Cedar Falls CampusKaplan University-Davenport CampusKaplan University-Des Moines CampusLa James College of Hairstyling and CosmetologyLa James International College-DavenportLa James International College-Iowa CityLa James International College-JohnstonMaharishi University of ManagementMercy College of Health SciencesPCI Academy-AmesShiloh UniversityThe Salon Professional Academy-Iowa CityTotal Look School of Cosmetology & Massage TherapyUnityPoint Health-Des Moines School of Radiologic TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix-IowaVatterott College-Des MoinesWaldorf CollegeWartburg Theological Seminary
- By State
- By City