Four Coats Leading into Winter
Most of the leaves have left the branches and are lying on the ground in piles. Iowa’s quick few weeks of “fall weather” are moving out of the way making room for Grandfather Winter to settle in for a few months. In his bags are bitter winds, snow and ice, and cloudy days. Of course, not everything winter brings is terrifying; with the Holiday season comes sweet treats, eggnog, big feasts and presents to show our love and warm us from the inside out.
But the fact remains: chilly days are about to turn pretty frigid. What does that mean? Simple…coats.
The problem is, is that those heavy, down-filled winter coats are sometimes brought out of hiding too soon. Even though it is too cold to wear that green army-cargo coat you’ve been wearing since September, it is still warm enough where you start to work up a sweat walking to class with the heavy coat weighing on your shoulders.
So, what do we do in this time of despair? Is there really a coat that will fit this awkward temperature? Yes.
1. Columbia Women’s Zenith Vista II Trench Coat ($229)
This twist on the ever classic trench coat is perfect for that transition between fall and winter (it looks warm enough that you could probably wear it throughout both). The Columbia Women’s Zenith Vista II Trench Coat, comes in plaids and solids in colors ranging from black to red. With a removable hood, it offers just the protection you would need from that harsh wind when walking to class. Though it isn’t water proof, it does have a light resistance to sprinkles. On a gear review it had nothing but positivity to share!
2. Express’s (Minus the) Leather Sleeved Ruffled Trench Coat ($128)
Another play on the trench coat theme, this khaki timeless coat helps show off your edgy side with black leather sleeves. It would be great for those nights out with friends, meeting up for business affairs, and even just going to class. It is definitely the type of coat you could make your own when wearing it. The ruffles on the collar add a girly and flirtatious aspect, complimenting those intense sleeves.
This coat is found at Express.
3. Worthington Cutout Military Coat ($80)
Wool is always a good bet when deciding on what warm coat to wear for the day. This Worthington Cutout Military Coat will definitely keep you warm while looking classy as you walk into the coffee shop. It is the type of coat you can wear for multiple seasons and not have to worry about it “going out” any time soon.
This coat is found at JCPenney.
4. Calvin Klein Houndstooth Cape Coat ($160)
Cape Coats are IN! And looking at this Calvin Klein houndstooth coat, it is easy to see why. Houndstooth is a stylish pattern to begin with, but turn it into a coat with a little faux-leather and bam! you have a fabulous coat left over.
This coat can be found at Macy’s.
Those four coats are sure to keep you warm and stylish as we head into the wrath of winter. So don’t let those marshmallow coats come out before they need to! Leave them for the below-zero weather and blizzards.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Fashion Articles
Recent University of Iowa News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF IOWA CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeIowa State UniversityUniversity of IowaUniversity of Northern IowaDes Moines Area Community CollegeCornell CollegeSt. Ambrose UniversityDrake UniversityKirkwood Community CollegeIowa Western Community CollegeAshford UniversityBriar Cliff UniversityBuena Vista UniversityCentral CollegeClarke CollegeCoe CollegeDes Moines UniversityDordt CollegeGraceland UniversityGrand View CollegeGrinnell CollegeKaplan UniversityLoras CollegeLuther CollegeMorningside CollegeMount Mercy CollegeNorthwestern CollegePalmer College of ChiropracticSimpson CollegeUniversity of DubuqueUpper Iowa UniversityWartburg CollegeWilliam Penn UniversityClinton Community College (IA)Eastern Iowa Community College DistrictHawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College Iowa Lakes Community College Iowa Valley Community College DistrictMuscatine Community College Northeast Iowa Community CollegeNorthwest Iowa Community CollegeScott Community College Southeastern Community College (IA)Western Iowa Tech Community CollegeAIB College of BusinessAllen CollegeAmerican College of Hairstyling-Cedar RapidsAmerican College of Hairstyling-Des MoinesAmerican Hair AcademyAveda Institute-Des MoinesCapri College-DavenportCapri College-DubuqueCarlson College of Massage TherapyCollege of Hair DesignDivine Word CollegeEllsworth Community CollegeEmmaus Bible CollegeFaith Baptist Bible College and Theological SeminaryFaust Institute of Cosmetology-Spirit LakeIowa School of Beauty-Des MoinesIowa School of Beauty-MarshalltownIowa School of Beauty-Sioux CityITT Technical Institute-CliveKaplan University-Cedar Falls CampusKaplan University-Davenport CampusKaplan University-Des Moines CampusLa James College of Hairstyling and CosmetologyLa James International College-DavenportLa James International College-Iowa CityLa James International College-JohnstonMaharishi University of ManagementMercy College of Health SciencesPCI Academy-AmesShiloh UniversityThe Salon Professional Academy-Iowa CityTotal Look School of Cosmetology & Massage TherapyUnityPoint Health-Des Moines School of Radiologic TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix-IowaVatterott College-Des MoinesWaldorf CollegeWartburg Theological Seminary
- By State
- By City